Age: 9 – 12 months
Goal: To develop fine motor skills and the pincer grasp.
Materials: mat, basket, 5 or 6 objects that can be opened and closed (book, box, purse, etc.)
- Prepare the work and get out the mat.
- Place the basket on the right side of the mat with the child sitting opposite you. The child should be facing the mat.
- Take one object out of the basket and examine it. Turn it this way and that, feel the texture, see if it can make a sound, etc.
- Then, using exaggeration, open the object making sure the child sees how the object is opened. Place the object on the mat still opened.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 with each object.
- Once all the objects have been opened and are on the mat, take the first object and close it allowing the child to see how the object closes. Then place the object back in the basket.
- Repeat with each object until all the objects are back in the basket. Once you have completed the activity, invite the child to do the activity.
- When the child is finished with the activity, take him/her with you to return the work and mat to its proper place.
Click here for the extension to this activity.
0 comments… add one