Age: 12-15 months
Goal: To develop hand-eye coordination, developing concentration skills, and visual acuity.
Materials: mat, tin (or similar shaped container–I used an old grits container), six wooden clothes pegs
- Prepare the work and get out the mat.
- With the child facing you and the container between you begin spilling the pegs onto the work mat.
- Pick the pegs up holding the top, and slowly put it purposefully onto the rim of the container.
- Continue with a few more pegs.
- Then invite the child to put on the remaining pegs. If the child begins the activity, let them quietly work.
- If the doesn’t begin the activity or seem to know what to do, ask “May I help?” and then gently show them. Once the child gets the hang of the activity allow them to finish by their self.