This is one of the activities from our Ocean theme we did over the summer.
Age: 12 – 18 months
Goal: To matchÂ similarÂ objects in the same category (ie, shells).
Materials: mat, small basket (or other container), shells (close in size and shape – I found a large bag of shells at Hobby Lobby)
- Prepare the work and get out the mat.
- With the work facing the child and the mat between you (or sit on the child’s right-hand side), set the basket to the childâ€™sÂ right.
3. Take one of each shell and place them in a row on the left side of the mat.
4. Ask the child to take a shell out of the basket and find the one that is the same (or similar) to it on the mat. (They don’t have to match them in the order that the shells are on the mat.)
5. If the child is struggling, ask them “May I help?” and then help them by asking, for example, “Can you find the other shell that is white? Â Or bumpy? Or the smallest?”
6. When they have matched all the shells, have the child put the shells back in the basket and return the work to the shelf.