Ages: 18 to 24 months
Materials: work mat, tray, 2 identical containers, objects to pour
- Prepare the work and get out the mat.
- With the work facing the child and the mat between you, make sure the container with the objects is on the child’s left-hand side.
- Demonstrate two-hand pouring with one hand on the top and the other on the bottom of the container. Emphasize that we pour with two hands.
- Pour the objects into the container on the right. After setting down the container, pour the objects back into the original container completing the cycle.
- Now, invite the child to pour the objects. Help only if the child doesn’t seem to know what to do.
- When he or she finishes, have them return the work to the shelf.
For a greater challenge vary the size of the containers (use some with handles and a spout) and the materials being poured.
This week I introduced pouring with 3 graduated containers.