Ages: 24+Â months
Goal: To develop fine motor skills that lay the basis for the pincer grip used in writing.
Materials: work mat, tray, 2 identical containers, tongs (children’s size are ideal), objects to transfer
- Prepare the work and get out the mat.
- With the work facing the child and the mat between you, make sure the container with the objects is on the childâ€™s left-hand side.
- Demonstrate the activity by using the tongs to transfer the objects (we used cotton balls here) from the first container to the second.
- Once all the objects are in the second container, begin transferring them back to the first container.
- Now, invite the child to pour the objects. Help only if the child doesnâ€™t seem to know what to do.
- When he or she finishes, have them return the work to the shelf.